Indian Premier League (IPL) 2014 champions Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) and Chennai Super Kings (CSK) will play the inaugural match of this year’s Champions League Twenty20 at the Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium in Hyderabad on September 17.
The 6th edition of the Champions League Twenty20 tournament (CLT20) will be held in India from September 13, 2014 to October 4, 2014 with Mohali, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Raipur as venues, the league’s governing council announced.
According to statement from BCCI the orgainsers of CLT20, the tournament will follow a format similar to the three previous editions, with a Group Stage preceded by a Qualifier.A total of 29 matches will be played in the 2014 edition of the tournament, including the qualifying phase.
The qualifying stage will involve 4 teams and the top-two sides will make it through to the group phase. The second round will feature 10 teams under two groups and the top two sides from each group will qualify for the semi-finals.
The final, which is scheduled on October 4, will be held at the Chinnaswamy stadium in Bangalore, which was also the venue for the final of IPL 2014.
“The Group stage matches will be played at Mohali, Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Raipur. The Qualifier will be played at Raipur. The CLT20 Governing Council has confirmed the teams that will compete for a total prize money of US $ 6 million,” Sanjay Patel, Hony. Secretary, BCCI, said.
The Qualifier, to be played from September 13 to 16, will feature four teams.In the Qualifier, all teams will play each other once, with the top two advancing to the Group Stage.The top team from Group A will play the second-ranked team from Group B, and vice versa, in the semi-finals, both of which will be played at Hyderabad on October 2.
Teams in the Qualifying stage:
- Q1 Lahore Lions (Pakistan’s domestic T20 competition champions)
- Q2 Mumbai Indians (fourth-ranked team in IPL 2014)
- Q3 Northern Knights (winners of New Zealand’s domestic T20 competition)
- Q4 Southern Express (winners of Sri Lanka’s domestic T20 tournament)
Teams in Group A
- Kolkata Knight Riders
- Dolphins (winners of South Africa’s domestic T20 competition)
- Perth Scorchers (Big Bash League winners)
- Chennai Super Kings (IPL)
- A team from the Qualifier
Teams in Group B
- Kings XI Punjab (IPL)
- Cape Cobras(runners-up in South Africa’s domestic T20 competition)
- Hobart Hurricanes (Big Bash League runners-up)
- Champion side from the West Indies
- A team from the Qualifier
- Q1/Q3 will enter Group A if either of them makes it to the Group Stage.
- Q2/Q4 will enter Group B if either of them makes it to the Group Stage.
- If Q1 and Q3 both make it to the Group Stage, then Q1 will enter Group A and Q3 will enter Group B. If Q2 and Q4 both make it to the Group Stage, then Q2 will enter Group B and Q4 will enter Group A.